Thursday, July 27, 2017

5 Questions with Jessica Kaiser

(Posted by Michelle Duvall Kalinski) Jessica Kaiser is a full-time working mom to a 5 year old and an 8 year old, and a badass mother triathlete! She also happens to be a great ambassador for BRINGtheKIDZ, and we're psyched to know her.





1. You were a busy working mom when you decided to sign up for your first triathlon. What prompted you to take that leap?

Before I had kids, I had gotten in really good shape, lost a bunch of weight, and planned to train for a sprint distance triathlon.  Then, my two kids happened, life happened, and so triathlon did not happen.  We moved to Colorado about two years ago, and in January 2016, the Parker Rec Center advertised a program for people who wanted to complete their first tri.  I knew it was my chance to achieve a long deferred goal.

2. What has been the most rewarding part of triathlons for you so far? The most challenging?

The most rewarding part has been becoming part of the triathlon community.  I have met so many great friends through triathlon, and that has definitely been an unexpected side benefit that has kept me motivated.  The most challenging part has been patience with myself.  I started my triathlon journey from the couch, and so I just have to give myself more time to reach my goals than someone who started as, for example, a marathoner would. 

3. If your children could take away one lesson from your experiences (personally, professionally, or otherwise), what would you want it to be?




Never give up on yourself.  So many times people give up on themselves before they even try something, and so I talk to my kids a lot about how doing your best really is a win.

4. Tell us about the most challenging or disappointing situation you’ve had to overcome (personally or professionally) and how you did it.

Last August, I decided to race an Olympic distance triathlon as my third race.  It was also the first race I'd done with strict time cut offs (something I didn't realize when I signed up).  In my mind I really believed I could finish within the cut-offs, but my body had other ideas and I missed the run cut off.  I finished the race and got a medal but technically I was a DNF (did not finish).  It would have been easy in that moment to give up on triathlon, but my son was there at the finish (he had spent the day at the BringtheKidz camp).  He had seen me struggle, and he had seen me weep at the finish line.  No way was he going to see me give up.  So I spent the offseason really working to improve my base fitness.  I hired a coach, and also have been working on race nutrition.  My first Olympic distance race of the season was July 9 (The Boulder Peak Tri)- my only goals were to finish and to feel good at the finish.  The heat had something to say about the last part of that goal, but some cold towels on the neck sorted me right out. Otherwise, I had a great race – 26-minute PR for the overall distance, and 14-minute PR on the swim. Both my kids had a fun time at BRINGtheKIDZ making slime and doing an obstacle course (which included the limbo). Even better as I was running into the finish, I heard my son yell "go mom!" No wonder I kicked up the pace for the last bit!
 
5. If endurance sports had walk-up music, what would be your song and why?

This is a really tricky question.  I guess I'd pick the Imperial March from Star Wars because I've loved all things Star Wars ever since I was a kid.




1 comment:

  1. Endurance & determination are your wonderful attributes. I remember when you were a toddler displaying these same qualities when learning to read and ride a bike. I'd say you've been winning at life for a long time!

    ReplyDelete