Thursday, April 27, 2017

So You Signed Up for Your First Triathlon


 Written by Jessica Kaiser, Working Mom, Triathlete, and BRINGtheKIDZ Ambassador

You’ve taken the plunge and signed up for your first triathlon.  Congratulations!   Maybe you are already fit.  Maybe you are working through a training plan.  Maybe you have no idea how you are going to accomplish this goal.  Here are some tips on how to get to that first finish line.

First off, fair warning – I am not a coach.  I hold no certifications that relate to endurance athletics.  I have not stood on any podiums.  I am not going to Kona.  I am not an Ironman.  So why should you listen to my advice?  Perhaps you shouldn’t, or at least, don’t listen only to me.  Find those Ironman coaches and listen to them too.  But I’ve found that some of those folks don’t remember what it’s like to take the first step, to start from nothing.  So take my advice in the spirit it’s intended as things I’ve learned since I signed up for my first sprint distance triathlon, one year ago.  My memories are fresh, and some of these lessons were learned the hard way. 

1. Safety First.
Make sure you carry some sort of ID with you when you are training outside.  This could be as simple as carrying your license in a zippered pocket.  I personally wear a RoadID which is a bracelet that has my name, my husband’s name and phone number, and my allergies.  That way in the event of an emergency, I won’t be anonymous.

For cycling, make sure you have a quality helmet, some kind of glasses, some gloves, and high visibility clothing (to make sure you are seen by cars, pedestrians, etc.).  If you aren’t comfortable on the bike, find low risk places for your starting rides – a quiet trail rather than a busy street. 

For swimming, particularly open water swimming, always go with a buddy. 



2. Learn to Swim
If you’re starting from ground zero, you can walk (and likely run at least short intervals).  You can probably ride a bike – maybe not quickly, maybe not a road bike with clip in pedals (or what the experts call clip-less pedals for some reason) – but you can likely pedal something.  Swimming is a whole different ball game. 

I never took a swim lesson as a child; I learned to not drown.  I could paddle around my grandparents’ pool, but I never learned to swim properly.  If this is you, go take a swim lesson or a few and get comfortable in the pool.  Bad habits are hard to unlearn, but good habits will help you avoid panic and wasted energy on the swim in your race.



3. Make a List
Let’s face it  - triathlon has a lot of stuff.  Some of it you need for the swim, and a lot of it you’ll need to have organized in the transition area (the area for the stuff you need for the bike and the run).  There are plenty of checklists available online.  The important thing is to have a list and customize it for you.  For example, I wear glasses, but of course, I don’t swim in my glasses.  I need them in transition so I can wear them on the bike.  Therefore, my glasses better be in the transition area before it closes.  That’s the sort of thing that’s on my list (and highlighted with exclamation points). 

4. Practice Transitions.
At a triathlon, there will be an area for your gear so you can “transition” from swim to bike (“T1”) and bike to run (“T2”).  Once you have your list, practice setting your gear up the way you want it.  Here’s a pic of my transition area at my first race (I get there early…)

This also will let you go through your list, and make sure it’s complete.  It doesn’t hurt to practice changing your gear (for example, for bike to run, practice taking off your helmet, changing your shoes (if you’re going to), how you’re going to put on your race number, etc.).


5. Trust Your Training.
Triathlon requires training – how much depends on the distance you plan to do and your current level of fitness.  Find a plan – there are all kinds of resources: books, free online plans, etc.  Follow your plan as closely as you can.  And once you’ve done that, trust in yourself and your training.  The night before the race don’t worry about the missed bike ride or wish you had squeezed in one more run.  You had a plan, and you (likely mostly) executed it.  Time to go out and do the best you can in your race – no regrets.

6. Have Fun.
I never have a bigger smile on my face than when I am at a race looking over the transition area.  All those athletes; all those bikes; all the people in wetsuits.  And I get to be one of them.  Be grateful for every minute you spend in your race.  Race your race – winning is not my goal; wishing I were faster than I am is not my goal; being the best version of myself in that moment on that day is my goal.  I tell other people “good job.”  I sometimes make a new friend out on the course.  Just remember to breathe, relax, and enjoy the wonderful chaos that is triathlon.





No comments:

Post a Comment